Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Snuggly Tutorial

I'm sure you're tired of hearing me go on about all the baby presents I have to make lately. Truly I love it! It's fun coming up with new things to make, or turning to old stand-bys. The last time I made a ribbon snuggly I took some pictures in case anyone is interested in what I've found works best for me...

1. Cut two pieces of fabric ~10x10" or 12x12" - size isn't critical as long as they're the same! I usually use cotton or flannel on once side and fleece on the other.



2. Cut a bunch of pieces of ribbon 4" long - try to vary the width and texture. I never throw away ribbon scraps now! Lay out around your fabric square as you go so you know how many to cut.



3. Fold the pieces of ribbon in half and pin to the right side of the cotton fabric, loops facing in. Try to space out evenly.



4. Baste the ribbons, using 1/4" seam allowance, pulling out the pins as you go.



5. Place the backing fabric face down on your cotton fabric, sandwiching the ribbons. Feel with your fingers to make sure there are no folded ribbons. Sew around the edge with slightly greater than a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a ~4" gap to turn.

6. Turn right side out, poke out the corners with a knitting needle or chopstick, and topstitch around the whole edge. Be sure to close up the gap you left for turning.



The best part about this is it takes about 30 minutes once you get the hang of it!

Labels: ,