Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Quilts Beyond Borders

At the Quilt Fair last weekend I got to help out with an organization the makes quilts for orphans in Ethiopa. The three ladies that run the group are amazing - their goal is to send quilts to all the orphans in the capital city of Addis Ababa.



The Quilt Show donated the floor space (this amount of space would cost a retailer about $8k!) and Janome donated the sewing machines.



These two ladies made quilt tops using these great geisha panels. They were visiting from Melbourne, Australia, just for the show.



I spent my time in the booth ironing miles of binding (my mom captured this on film), and getting one quilt completely bound. This organization is completely volunteer based - fabric is donated, quilt tops are made/donated, long arm time is donated for the quilting, volunteers do the binding... I went around all day telling my husband I made a quilt for an Ethiopian orphan - it sounds so noble!



Andover Fabrics donated all of their samples they had brought to Quilt Market the week before, and I brought home this huge pile to make into quilt tops. (After the holidays! My new motto!)





If you'd like to see a little more about the organization, the Houston Chronicle did a piece on them and you can see a video here.

Labels: