Friday, March 19, 2010

Stroller Blankie

One of the gifts Ben received was a small quilt, about 24"x36", with a fuzzy back. It is the perfect size to tuck around him in the carseat or stroller, and I have gotten so much use out of it! I can also see him easily dragging it around as a security blankie when he gets older. So when I needed a gift for a baby shower, that's the first thing I thought of!

Evan's Quilt

The size makes it a great way to try out a little bit more time-consuming piecing, so I used the directions that Quilt Dad posted on Moda Bake Shop for the sliced up 9-patch block. My dimensions are different to give me a 11.5" block (3.5" squares for the 9-patch, 2"x5" and 2"x6" for the strips).

Stroller Quilt

The fabric is Riley Blake and was really fun to work with, I love the colors! I splurged and backed it in pale blue minky. There's no batting so it's very soft and cuddly. And can I just say that my seams matched up on this quilt better than any I've made before. I got quite a thrill from that.

Big Improvement

I had planned to try stippling on this because I thought the size would make it very manageable but I was short on time and didn't want to risk messing up. I also used the monogram feature on my Janome for the first time for the label. I probably won't do this too often but it's nice to know it will work in a pinch!

Janome Label

At a small 24"x36", is it still okay to call this my first finished quilt of 2010?

Labels: , ,